Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ho Hum January Days

January days can often be "ho hum."  Granted, the month has December as its predecessor which is hard to follow up to.  The great month of December with its magical lights, shimmering packages, friend and family get togethers, and our celebration of Jesus at the center of it all can really give us a lot to look forward to.  Then January descends and we can feel a bit somber, a bit quieted, and it's as if we need an energizer to get going.
 
I've never really been a resolutions setter at a new year's start, but I do find myself day dreaming about new house projects or finding new ways of engaging Kale in creative play while we are home, for example.  So that gets a fire lit under me, so to speak.
 
For inspiration to add to my day dreaming, I love reading magazines, page by page, chauk full of beautiful images of room renovations and DIY projects.  I have a bad habit of raiding the free magazine bin at the local library and bringing home more magazines than I'll ever be able to read.  And my other favorite for inspiration, aside from shopping the local junk/craft/home stores, is Pinterest.  Has that ever perked my interest!  I could browse and pin all day but at some point I remind myself that if I pin, I also must try!  (Pin 25...try 1...Pin 25...try1!)
 
I will admit that I'm a bit restless these days; a bit discontented, as if I have a stirring in my soul.  Whenever I get these "stirrings," I know it is the Holy Spirit wrestling with me and it causes me to consider what greater things God has in store for me to do.  TO DO with my life.  TO DO with and for my family.  TO DO for others I may not know.  If you are feeling at all like me this January month, let's turn our "ho hum" into something grand.
 


2 comments:

Jill said...

I'm with you!!!

shane and jackee said...

Love this post! Your last paragraph really struck a chord with me. I've decided TO DO this photography thing, but not without reluctance. Self doubt can be over-whelming...but then I remember that God uses amateurs all the time! "Let's turn our ho hum into something grand". YES! Let's! :)