Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Attic Reno 13

This blog entry is all about our vanity.  I had dreamed about an old worktable serving as our vanity.  I'd made a couple of phone calls to area junk/antique/craft stores and located this one.
 We then picked out sinks and made the cuts and then the real work began.
 We found a product to give it an antique cracked look.  You simply paint your base coat and allow it to dry and then apply a top antique white coat that cracks exposing the base coat underneath.  Then for the top, we applied another product to coat and seal it from water.  We initially thought putting tape around the edges would be beneficial so it would not run over the sides but decided against that before we applied it.  Thankful that we did.



 The vanity fit like a glove in its new location.
 Our plumbers did the initial caulk job.  When they had left that day, I went up to inspect and found this:

 I was pretty much horrified after all the work we'd put into the vanity.  I was ready to try and fix it myself but it had dried too much.  Justin ended up ripping it off and redid the work on his own.
 You'll notice the shelf on the bottom.  Justin added that.  It is repurposed from an old cupboard door that we took out from our laundry area.

 And the final finished product!  We plan to put baskets underneath the sinks.  Anytime I'm in a store with baskets, I'm looking, but haven't found what I have in my mind just yet (or they are not in my price range)!  We're enjoying a fully operational bathroom (and have been since end of December...the blog posts have just been a little sparse!)


1 comment:

Gerben en Julie said...

wauw looks great Deedra. I should have asked you to take a peek last week.
I love it!