Wednesday, May 08, 2013

The Tablecloth

My mom and dad are coming for lunch tomorrow.  We'll be celebrating Mother's Day a little early and I wanted to make lunch special.  I remembered that I had one of my late grandma's tablecloths so I got it out and found it was in need of a good ironing.  
 As I applied the iron to the tablecloth, the smell of it came to life and I was taken back to my grandparent's home.  My grandma always had a tablecloth on her table.  Something so simple yet not often seen on the tables of today's generation.
 So I ironed it up and laid it neatly across my own table as grandma had probably done many times before.  I thought of the many meals she'd probably served her family on this very cloth.  The many discussions that probably took place over meatloaf, sweet corn, and potatoes.  The hands that rested there.  The hands that prayed there.
Something as simple as a tablecloth evoking memories and daydreams and thankfulness for my heritage.  Happy Mother's Day to all the mamas in my life!  Enjoy your weekend as you spread your own tablecloths and make your own memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lots of memories evoked about my own family. Enjoy your meal with your parents. Tell them "hello"). MIL