Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Keep Me Safe

Last night was our first thunderstorm of the season.  Around 5AM I heard Kale's little voice through the monitor say "I gotta go potty."  Immediately Justin and I wondered if he was afraid of the thunder as he hasn't asked to go potty during the night for quite some time.
 I went in his room and gathered him in my arms and we made our way to the bathroom, in the dark.  As Kale sat down on the toilet he said, "Kale scared of the thunder.  Will Mama keep me safe?"
 My mind traveled back to my own childhood remembering how sometimes in my bed, laying there listening to the thunder, I felt unsettled.
 I told Kale that the thunder was God clapping reminding us to remember Him; that it's His way of getting our attention.  Kale then said in his still small voice, "God is clapping and Mama will you sleep in my bed?"
 So together, as the lightening flitted through the window, we made our way back to Kale's room and Mama climbed in bed and had a little snuggle bug right next to me.  Though I was tired, I relished that moment in my mind and heart as he quickly went back to dreaming.
Thank you, God, for reminding me that even during the night you reign.
"When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."
-Proverbs 3:24
(Photos by Jackee Austerman)

2 comments:

shane and jackee said...

Aw... Kale is such a sweet little boy. I love how you cherish these moments with him. I find myself doing a lot of that these days too... I'm constantly remembering that these sweet moments are fleeting! :)

Jill said...

What a great post and also great pics. Love the last one and the family! He is one handsome little boy!